Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Sharing

One of the greatest blessings that we have received in the wake of the loss of our two precious daughters is sharing with others.

Sharing is such an amazing thing. It goes against our nature, doesn't it? Our nature wants to hoard, to keep our things to ourselves. We do it with stuff, sure. I remember those teenage days when my little sister wanted to borrow everything in my closet, and how I desperately pleaded with my parents to intervene. As a mother, I do it with furniture and carpet that I don't want ruined, desperately pleading for little boys to leave their muddy things outside.

But we are not limited to our desire to hold tightly to our things. This tendency runs deep... and as much as we like to cling to our stuff, we do it even more so with our hurts, with our pain, with our struggles. Often, we try to keep them all to ourselves, seeking to protect our the most precious parts of our hearts from vulnerability, from the possibility of pain or rejection.

But as with all things selfish, hoarding brings bondage. Bondage to opinions, to fear, to insecurity. But sharing, giving your things, your stories, your very self away, actually brings you freedom. I shouldn't be surprised, because it was Jesus himself who told us that we are more blessed if we give.

We have proven the truth of those words as we have experienced the beautiful freedom in sharing with others. There have been two ways in particular that we have experienced this...

The first way is that we have been able to share, or tell others, about our life, about what we have been through and about how good God has been to us in the midst of the painful suffering of this world.

The other way is that we have been able to share in the stories of others as they open their hearts and divulge some of the most painful seasons of their own lives.

Both have been equally as meaningful and have granted me deep, deep encouragement.

A few weeks ago, we were approached to share with the body of believers at Bethany Baptist Church. They had been going through a series on "Real Faith" and we were asked if we would be willing to share about how we had grown and persevered in faith despite the suffering we have experienced.

I can honestly and sincerely speak for both Craig and I when  I say that we felt like very unworthy candidates, with very little meaningful insight to offer. We are simply flawed, sinful followers of Christ, to whom God has mercifully seen fit to grant a special measure of faith, comfort, and peace.

But my desire to testify to His mercy and speak of my sweet girls prevailed, so we agreed to open our hearts and lives to others and share.

Several friends and family members have requested a copy, so I am simply attaching a link where you can go to listen to the service. I am forewarning you- it is pretty long! But I hope that if you do listen, God will generously allow His Truth to pour forth from our story and encourage you that no matter how difficult this life may be, take heart- for He has overcome!

Bethany Baptist- March 20, 2016

 

No comments:

Post a Comment